Many years ago, Harriet Tubman was born Araminta Ross,
And she ran the Underground Railroad like a Total Boss!
This biography of Harriet Tubman relates the story of an extraordinarily brave woman. Adversity could have been Harriet's middle name because she had every sling and arrow of outrageous fortune pointed against her. Born into slavery, she suffered a grievous head injury early on which left her suffering with terrible headaches and epilepsy for the rest of her life. Yet, she ran rescue operations to free people from slavery for over eight years, carrying a revolver for protection, sometimes camouflaging herself using loudly squawking chickens, disguising herself with large bonnets, and hiding behind large newspapers, pretending to read them. Harriet Tubman worked in the worst possible weathers when patrols were less likely to be out and about. She also worked as a nurse and spy during the Civil War, actively campaigned for Women's Suffrage, and continued to help newly freed people assimilate into society by providing for them despite her limited means.
Her story is definitely one worth telling to children, not only because of her amazing bravery, but also because of her wonderful kindness and indomitable spirit which led her to risk everything to help everyone she could.
- Babies, Toddlers, Children aged 0 to 7 years
- Birthday Presents, Christmas Presents, Presents for 'kids who have everything'
- Teaching Diversity and Inclusion by challenging traditional norms of what a hero looks like
- Anyone who like rhyming books and needs a dose of hope
Why Children love the book
- Full Colour Illustrations
- Rhyming verse in Dyslexia-friendly text
- The Activity and Colouring Pages
- Cut-and-paste activity to make little paper houses
- The Positive Affirmation at the end!
Why Parents and Teachers love the book
- Features an inspiring Heroine to encourage little ones
- Historical aspect of the story
- Glossary explaining all the 'big' words
- Heartwarming bonding activity and a starting point for deeper discussions about World Issues
- Free Teaching Resources for the book at www.ramyajulian.com
- Publisher : Ramya Julian (March 27, 2023)
- Language : English
- Paperback : 31 pages
- ISBN-10 : 1916530060
- ISBN-13 : 978-1916530065
- Reading age : Baby - 8 years
- Item Weight : 4 ounces
- Dimensions : 8.5 x 0.08 x 8.5 inches